Sunday, November 20, 2011

Turkey Bacon Green Beans

With Thanksgiving right around the corner here in the U.S. I decided to post a quick and easy recipe tutorial today for a side dish that anyone can whip up and take to a potluck Thanksgiving dinner.

We make green beans often at my house and my husband loves it with the crunchy bacon bits.  I fool him and use turkey bacon instead of the real stuff.  Once its crispy and chopped up he can't even tell the difference and I cut back the fat by 50%.  Win-win for everyone.


Ingredients:
1-2 lbs of green beans (I use frozen here but fresh works also)
turkey bacon (or bacon of your choice... you can even omit this ingredient altogether)
salt
pepper
olive oil
water


Directions:
Step 1: Crisp up bacon-
- add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pot on medium high heat
- Chop bacon into bite size pieces and add to pot
- separate bacon with spoon or tongs
- cook on medium/high heat for 8-10 minutes or until crispy
- drain on paper towel and set aside

Step 2: Cook green beans-
- add frozen or fresh green beans to same pot used to crisp bacon
- add 1/4 cup of water and cover
- cook on high for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- uncover and cook another 5 minutes until most of water has evaporated
- add some bacon bits and stir
- serve on platter and top with more bacon bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message. I love to hear from you!