Thursday, April 5, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana & Almond muffins

After playing around with several recipes I finally created my version of these very yummy and healthy muffins.  I posted a picture to my facebook page and have since received a ton of requests to post the recipe so here it is... just for you!



Ingredients:
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup chopped almonds (3/4 in batter, 1/4 for sprinkling on top)
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C)
2. In a bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and set aside. 
3. I use my Vitamix but you can use a blender for this. Combine egg, sugar, butter, almond milk, bananas and applesauce into blender.  Process briefly until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.




4. Pour batter into dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until combined.



5. Add 3/4 cup of chopped almonds and flaxseed and combine.



6. Pour batter into loaf pan, muffin pan or any pan you want.  I like to sprinkle a little brown sugar and the remaining almond crumbles on top of each muffin before baking. Note: You need to adjust the time you leave it in the oven based on what kind of pan you use.  For example, I use this Flexipan pan that makes 6 mini loaves basically and I leave it in the oven for 35 minutes.  If you use a 12 muffin pan I would leave it for 20-25 minutes and just check them to see when they are done.  If you put it into a bread loaf pan you should start it at 45-50 minutes and then check.

That's it! Hope you enjoy! Feel free to pin it too!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I used flax meal instead of seeds, and they are delicious. Thanks for all of your posts. You are the best, and you taught my first Quilt class and I have been hooked.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I love to hear from you!