Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pumpkin Coco-Carrot Muffins

The kids and I created a new recipe today and it is healthy & delicious! We're calling them our Pumpkin Coco-Carrot Muffins!

In the past few years we have been adopting a more organic, whole food diet and learning more about traditionally prepared foods.  I love to cook and bake and even more than that I love to eat! So, I'm always playing around with ingredients to make nutritious dishes my family will enjoy. These muffins are the result of one of my experiments. 

They were quite simple to make so let's jump into the recipe!

If you want to see how my kids help me make these check out the step by step video tutorial I created for this recipe HERE. 

Since I came up with this recipe myself I am listing the exact ingredients I used to get this great result in hopes that will help you recreate them in your home! Feel free to experiment, substitute and replace some ingredients.  I'm a big believer of experimenting in the kitchen. 

Inside of muffin. Moist, airy and soft... oh, and delicious!

Here is the step-by-step video recipe:


Ingredients: 
DRY INGREDIENTS-
• 1/2 cup coconut flour {I use this kind}
• 1/2 cup oat flour {I ground up organic rolled oats in my Vitamix}
• 1/2 cup sprouted whole wheat flour {I make my own but you can get it here}
• 1 teaspoon baking powder {aluminum free- get it here}
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg {I used freshly ground}
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• pinch of sea salt {I use pink himalayan sea salt- get it here}
• 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup [so, a little less than 2/3 cup] of organic evaporated sugar cane juice {get it here}

WET INGREDIENTS-
• 1 duck egg {I used one of our homegrown, free range Peking duck eggs, if you can't get duck eggs try 1 L or XL chicken egg}
• 1/2 teaspoon pure organic vanilla extract {get it here}
• 1/3 cup extra virgin organic coconut oil {I use this kind}
• 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree {we grew our own see post HERE}
• 1 1/2 cups organic coconut milk {I use this kind}
• 1/2 cup shredded organic carrots {I used almost two carrots to get this amount}
• 1/2 chopped organic raw almonds{get it here} (or can also use other nut of your choice)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350º F (or 180º C). Line two 12 muffin baking pans with paper liners.
2. In a bowl mix together all dry ingredients until everything is evenly combined.
3. In a separate bowl whisk egg by itself for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add remaining wet ingredients to egg. 
5. Add the dry ingredients into wet ingredients bowl and mix together just to combine.  I use a hand mixer and only mixed for about 10 seconds until everything was combined. Don't over mix.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to fill each muffin cup.  I use one scoop per muffin but this will depend on the size of your ice cream scoop.  You can also just use a few tablespoons in each one.
7. Sprinkle chopped almonds on each muffin. You can also use other chopped nuts you like.
8. Bake in 350º F (180º C) oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden around egdes and a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean. I set my timer for 17 minutes to check on them and they needed an additional 5 minutes before they were done. 

Yields: 18-24 muffins depending on how big your scoops in each liner are. I got 23 muffins from this recipe with my ice cream scoop.

ENJOY!

If you give his recipe a try I would love to hear about it below!

My Pumpkin Coco-Carrot Muffins coming out the oven. YUM!
They are the perfect size for kids and adult portion control! YUMMY!



3 comments:

  1. How do you sprout whole wheat? Do you have a blog on that? I'd like to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delicious!
    I found your video on YouTube and followed the link here to see the ingredients laid out in writing. I followed your recipe pretty closely, however, I changed up the flours to fit what I had on-hand. I ended up making my own flour using the Vitamix as well. I used 1/2 cup oat and 1 cup millet, which tastes deliciously mild and somewhat sweet. Near the end of making the millet flour, I added in coconut shavings to give it a little more coconut flavor. Other than that, the only thing I really changed was almonds to walnuts.
    These came out perfect and not too sweet, just the way I love my breakfast/snack muffins. Thank you so much (:

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I love to hear from you!