Thursday, July 26, 2012

How to Make Rock Cakes

For my second video in the Invade London special going on on YouTube I had my 2 yr old help me make some yummy traditional British snacks called rock cakes.  They are called rock cakes because they kinda look like .... well,  rocks.


My recipe varies a bit from traditional recipes but they are just as yummy! It all comes together in one bowl and there is no fancy way to scoop them out. I just use a spoon and drop globs of it on my baking sheet. It's a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen.

Click HERE to watch the video recipe now... or you can view it below if you are reading this post on my blog.

I love pins!

Ingredients:
My ingredients vary a bit from the traditional recipes you may see elsewhere online so this video recipe is for me to share with you how I make my version of rock cakes.

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp of double acting baking POWDER... not baking soda
1 stick of butter (4 ounces)
1/4 cup of sugar
pinch of salt (added to flour mixture)
3/4 cup of mix-ins (dried berries, chocolate chips, nuts.. whatever you want)
1 egg
2-4 Tablespoons of milk (I use almond milk, but any milk will work

Preheat oven to 400º F or 200ºC. Add 1 stick of butter to a bowl and let it come to room temperature. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and then add to the butter.  Combine with two forks until you get a mealy mixture of broken up chunks of butter fully coated with flour. Add sugar and mix-ins and stir to combine.  Then add one egg and stir to combine.  Now add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time while mixing to combine the batter into a somewhat sticky dough.  Take a spoon and dollop  spoonfuls onto a non-stick cookie or baking sheet. 

Bake in a PREHEATED oven at 400º F or 200º C for 12-20 minutes. Keep an eye on them because every oven is different.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Vanessa, they look yum. What a great idea we'll just be sitting around watching the Olympics this wk end. I'm hoping I might be well enough to cook them or I can get hubby to cook for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of using wheat flour and almond milk. Moreso, your baking assistant is the cutest little fellow! Soon his sister will join him in culinary pursuits.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I love to hear from you!