We make green beans often at my house and my husband loves it with the crunchy bacon bits. I fool him and use turkey bacon instead of the real stuff. Once its crispy and chopped up he can't even tell the difference and I cut back the fat by 50%. Win-win for everyone.
1-2 lbs of green beans (I use frozen here but fresh works also)
turkey bacon (or bacon of your choice... you can even omit this ingredient altogether)
Step 1: Crisp up bacon-
- add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pot on medium high heat
- Chop bacon into bite size pieces and add to pot
- separate bacon with spoon or tongs
- cook on medium/high heat for 8-10 minutes or until crispy
- drain on paper towel and set aside
Step 2: Cook green beans-
- add frozen or fresh green beans to same pot used to crisp bacon
- add 1/4 cup of water and cover
- cook on high for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- uncover and cook another 5 minutes until most of water has evaporated
- add some bacon bits and stir
- serve on platter and top with more bacon bits.